Jobs or Printer just stopping!

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 30 04:28:20 PST 2006

I have just built and installed CUPS-1.2.7 and esp-ghostscript-8.15.3 on my linux box.

I have a network (100Mb LAN) attached new Konica Minolta 2530DL Colour Laser. Printing from Windows is fine.

I have configured the printer in cups either as my printer docs suggest: doing it manually and using the socket/hpjetdirect interface. Or as CUPs wants to do it: It detects the printer using SNMP and I just tell it where the PPD is. This sets it up for IPP.

Now, when I try to get it to print anything, it doesn't work. No apparent errors show up in the error_log (I have log_level set at debug2).

When the printer is configured using the socket i/f the job itself is just stopped. I try and restart it and it just goes back to being stopped (No errors anywhere though).

When the printer is setup using the ipp i/f, the printer stops! Same issue as above; start the printer, re-submit the job, the printer stops again!

I am using the web interface for controlling and configuring the printer. I have tried printing the test page, pages from firefox, and an openoffice document. All give the same results.

I am new to CUPs (as of yesterday) but not new to Linux. I build my own distros based on the Linux From Scratch system and have been doing so for years... Usually I can fix most things but this is just weird... The lack of error messages is what confounds me.

Could someone please give some further pointers for investigation or perhaps explain what I am doing wrong if they know?

Thanks in advance,

Alan