Cups over ssl help

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Nov 30 05:06:21 PST 2006

Ricky Armstead wrote:
> I currently run cups 1.2.7 on gentoo. When I go to
> http://localhost:631/ it allows me to do administration from there. I
> would like that address to be https://localhost:443/.
>
> Do you have to manually generate a cert and a server key, and put it
> in /etc/cups/ssl. Or does cups automatically generate one when you
> compile cups?

It actually generates one at run-time the first time you use
encryption (if none is already installed).

The errors you are seeing indicate that you already have another
server on port 443 - I'd guess Apache is already running on that
port.

FWIW, CUPS supports SSL and non-SSL connections on the same port
number, so "https://localhost:631" will work with your current
configuration.