[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2072: Add an arbitrary text URI scheme to allow longer strings for cupsIPPreasons

Darrell Walker darrell.walker at hp.com
Wed Nov 1 05:32:16 PST 2006

[STR New]

The length of the *cupsIPPReason translation string is limited to
PPD_MAX_TEXT, which is sent to 80 bytes.

We have a lot of legacy error strings that can not be easily shortened to
80 bytes, and are requesting a "text URI" scheme to allow encoding longer
strings.  This enhancement would ease our transition to CUPS drivers.

For example:

      text:///your%20error%20message%20here

and then you could put that in the attribute, e.g.:

     *cupsIPPReason com.vendor-error:
"text:///your%20error%20message%20here"

There would also be a need to define how to extend URIs past the 255
character line limit (maybey a trailing backslash), or perhaps multiple
text: URIs can be merged, for example:

     *cupsIPPReason com.vendor-error: "text:///your%20error
     text:///message%20here"
     *End

would produce the combined text "your error message here".

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2072
Version:  -feature