Cups + Gutenprint + Epson Stylus Printer = problem

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Nov 13 06:48:14 PST 2006

tong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The followings are my observed problems using Cups + Gutenprint for my Epson
> Stylus CX1500 Printer.
>
> - When configuring via the web interface, at the step that chooses the Make
> and Model, the *given* default "EPSON Stylus Color Series CUPS v1.2", is not
> right. Nothing get printed if I accept it. The right one, I found for my
> Epson, is "EPSON New Stylus Color Series CUPS v1.2", notice the word "New".

The sample drivers are not the best choices if you want the full
quality out of your printers...

> - lp -o saturation=0 does not work.

Please RTFM.  The saturation (and hue) options only affect image
printing (not PostScript).

> A color saturation of 0 should "produces a black-and-white print", but I
> find my printer still prints in color. Moreover I think the
> "-o brightness=150" does not work either.
>
>  lp -o saturation=0 -o brightness=150 /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps

The brightness option *should* work, but with the sample drivers the
effect might not be all that noticeable...

> - printed color is wrong.
>
> Only magenta and yellow color is printed, no blue/green. Moreover the yellow
> color is shifted down about 2~4mm.

The sample drivers are not designed for the latest Epson printers.
They only work with Stylus Color and Stylus Photo printers and not
with the current CX, C, R, etc. printers.

Try installing the Gutenprint (aka Gimp-Print) drivers - you'll be
much happier with the output.