[cups.development] filter: grayscale or color

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at linux01.gwdg.de
Sat Nov 18 03:34:24 PST 2006

Hello,

is there a way for a filter to find out whether the end result that is
going to be sent to the backend will be grayscale or color? Some
printer drivers (such as "HP DeskJet 320 Foomatic/pcl3 (recommended)")
have a "Color Mode" in their "Configure Printers" (web frontend) option,
which I would like to read. cgi-bin/admin.c is probably worth looking
at, but it is not easy to look at it.
    What I have found by chance is that CUPS copies the PPD from
<somewhere> into /etc/cups/ppd. Changing the Color Mode on a printer
will also change this PPD in /etc/cups/ppd. So is it just that I need to
grep for *DefaultColorMode: and that's it? That sounds like a nice
and simple solution :) -- but is this the preferred way?

	-`J'