[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2119: configure search directories for shared libraries

Bernd Krumböck b.krumboeck at rewe-group.at
Fri Nov 24 05:19:47 PST 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

>> Is extending ld command (this takes years) the only way to solve or do
>> you have some other suggestions?
>
> It is that or just settle for patching the Makedefs file for every
> build to include other directories in the +b option.
>
>> At least I'm searching for a workaround/solution which doesn't need
>> source code modifications. (maybe a special environment variable?)
>
> SHLIB_PATH is used by the HP-UX run-time linker...

After some thinking I came to the conclusion not using SHLIB_PATH because I
need to set for all users, otherwise none of the commands which uses cups
shared libraries would work.

The only solution for us is patching configure or Makedefs. The same work
was also necessary for all HP-UX 11v1 (PA-RISC).

Now CUPS 1.2 work as expected, without making a compromise at runtime (at
least in our environment).

Maybe a special help for CUPS with HP-UX make sense? I would explain how it
works, but my English skills are too worse for the public.

best regards!
Bernd