IPP Printing Postscript vs RAW

Simon Comeau Martel martelsc at videotron.ca
Sun Oct 1 07:37:48 PDT 2006

Hi,

I am trying to figure out why I dont get the same comportment when trying to print to a printer advertised by CUPS vs printing to 'ipp://printserver.example.com/printers/printerName'.  If I print to the first in Postscript, It works.  It does not for the other; I have to specify a print driver to send the data in a format the printer can understand.

Here are some details about my test configuration and what I am trying to do:

I have non-postscript printer attached via USB to my CUPS print server.  It work verry well locally.  Now, I want my clients computer to print to it via IPP, sending data in Postscript format; I don't want to install drivers all over the place.  As stated above, it works if I enable the broadcast function of CUPS and print to an advertised printer.  However, if I configure a printer using the URI: 'ipp://printserver.example.com/printers/printerName' it wont print Postscript; it needs data in the printer RAW format.  As if printing to an ipp URL bypassed all CUPS filters.

You might wonder why I don't simply use advertised (via CUPS broadcast) printers, since it just works.  That's because I want to advertise them via Bonjour (zeroconf) by adding static entries in my DNS, for a better integration with Macs.  That part works pretty well and have no impact on my real problem, since the result is the same as when I specify the printer URI for configuration; I need printers specific drivers on clients; Postscript won't work.

Hope someone here can shed some light on this.
Have a great day

--
Simon Comeau Martel
martelsc<at>videotron<dot>ca