Cups Failover

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Oct 2 10:18:18 PDT 2006

Ricky wrote:
> Thanks for your quick response and detailed information!
>
> I have set up both servers the same. Did some testing and it dosent
> seem to failover at all. Both servers see the same classes, so at
> least the are talking to each other. I suspect something in my .conf
> file isn't set right.

Keep in mind, failover for implicit classes is only available for
clients, as servers are almost never setup to use implicit classes
(the "ImplicitAnyClasses" directive controls that, BTW...)

For normal classes, you should get automatic failover as long as
the backend that is trying to communicate with the printer in the
class stops to allow the other printer(s) in the class to print the
job.  This is the case for all of the backends included with CUPS,
but might not be the case for all third-party backends.

> Alos I am wondering is there anything I need to do on the Samba side
> of things to tell it to print to my other cups server for failover?

We don't support failsafe or load-balanced printing via Samba, since
Windows doesn't have any real notion of this outside of clusters or
printer pools (manually) pointing to multiple servers.

You might be able to configure a cluster of Samba servers (one per
CUPS server), but I don't know how you'd do that...