cups filtering

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Oct 2 13:40:08 PDT 2006

Ricky wrote:
> I am wondering what kind of filters are needed to print Adobe Acrobat
> documents in cups?

The standard CUPS includes a PDF to PostScript filter, based on
Xpdf (3.01 + patches in CUPS 1.2.x).  To print these to a non-PS
printer you also need ESP Ghostscript installed.

Foomatic and its ilk are almost never needed, and we don't
recommend using Foomatic if another driver is available.

> Also does the windows printe drivers need to be PCL or Post Script,
> or does it matter at all?

You'll have the best, most consistent experience using the CUPS
PostScript driver for Windows, either via Samba and the cupsaddsmb
command or web UI, or via IPP using the ESP Print Pro client for
Windows (free at http://www.easysw.com/printpro/software.php).

You can normally use any Windows driver and print to the CUPS server
in "raw" mode - this will provide all of the standard printing
functionality on Windows but no printer accounting or security
labeling (if you are into that stuff...)