Xerox printer with password

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Oct 3 08:56:12 PDT 2006

Osman wrote:
> Is there any solution?
> FYI, I work in windoz environment, where everyone else using XP.
>

>>Osman wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>How do I print to XEROX (Document Center DCC320) printer that enable restricted access (username/password). The XEROX printer use lpd protocol. I know how to print to smb printer with username/password.
>>
>>The LPD protocol does not support authentication.  LPRng apparently
>>supports Kerberos over LPD, however that is not documented or
>>supported by CUPS.
>>
>>--
>>Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
>>Internet Printing and Publishing Software        http://www.easysw.com

You might try the approach I did recently with a konica-minolta multifuction device:

(1) on a SAMBA server, set up a "printer" with following properties:
     - path: some path convenient for you; the directory should be world writable
     - set printing to sysv
     - set all commands but lpq to /bin/true, set lpq command to e.g. ls path (where
       path is the said directory)
     - set guest ok to yes.
(2) install the printer on xome XP (or W2K) box as usual using the APW and the Xerox supplied
     files (.inf etc) as the printer you just have faked on the samba server.

Then print e.g. a test page or whatever you like to that printer and analyze the print
file in your directory set up in (1) above. You should see there how username and
password (or some windows-like SID generated from the password) gets passed to the printer.

Then set up a CUPS filter (hooked into the printer's PPD with 0 (zero) cost)
that inserts the authentification stuff as needed to the job (probably to the PJL
or some other job ticket).

Good luck!

Helge

PS: Save and hide your "spy-fake-printer", as you will need id if you ever need
to add more users or to change passwords to recompute and invenstigate the password
surrogate.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung