CUPS v 1.2.4 backend email notification...

Evan Bradley ebradley at williams-int.com
Wed Oct 4 11:26:42 PDT 2006

Hello,

We are using CUPS 1.2.4 for our Solaris 9&10 printing environment to manage around 50 printers with much success.  I'd like to thank you for the many improvements in the 1.2.x versions of CUPS.  Many little tweaks to the web interface have greatly improved the usability and flow of printer administration.  :)

Secondly, I'd like to inquire about the functionality of having CUPS send email notifications triggered by certain events.  I have read posts on these forums that mention it being a standard feature in a future release of CUPS, but I don't recall if it was the 1.2.x or the 2.0.x releases.

If email notifications are not a standard feature until CUPS 2.0.x, could you please advise on the best method to enable this function for the 1.2.x release?  We are particularly interested in having the 'printer' send an email when the queue goes offline.  I read posts about 'backend wrappers' and other solutions, but could use a nudge in the preferred direction.  ;)

I have also seen the man page on the mailto.conf file, but was unable to get a message when putting the mailto.conf file in the /cups/etc/cups directory.  Is there more to the 'mailto' operation than just the .conf file?

Thank you in advance,

sleepy