[cups.general] CUPS v 1.2.4 backend email notification...

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Oct 4 13:09:44 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 03:33:20PM -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Evan Bradley wrote:
> > Secondly, I'd like to inquire about the functionality of having CUPS
> > send email notifications triggered by certain events.  I have read
> > posts on these forums that mention it being a standard feature in a
> > future release of CUPS, but I don't recall if it was the 1.2.x or the
> > 2.0.x releases.
>
> That said, while you can ask to be notified when a job is printed
> (the "-m" option with lp and lpr), there is no standard web or
> command-line tool to be notified for printer events.  Also, the
> standard job email notification uses the login name + hostname as
> the email address (user at hostname).  Finally, the mailto notifier
> depends on a SMTP or local mail server to do the actual delivery.
>
> To get other events or use your actual email address, you need to
> write a (short) application or use the ipptest program in the "test"
> subdirectory of the CUPS sources to create a "subscription" to the
> events you are interested in.  CUPS will then notify you via email
> when any of those events occur.  Use a printer-uri of
> "ipp://localhost/" to subscribe to events not associated with a
> particular printer...

May I suggest that you download and install pkipplib available
as free software from :

        http://www.pykota.com/software/

Once installed you can then use the pksubscribe command line
tool to create or delete subscriptions.

See the examples at the bottom of :

        http://www.pykota.com/software/pkipplib/

pkipplib also comes with a sample notifier which is easily
adaptable to your needs.

hth

bye

Jerome Alet