Interface Idea / Question

Phil Krochmal pk000075545 at ltu.edu
Sat Oct 7 08:32:56 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I just had a brainstorm of an idea. Has anyone thought of creating an interface based on PHP for cups. I thought I saw something about php commands built into cups, but I have not delved deep enough into learning PHP to understand what the command are good for. My thought was that perhaps the interface could be made in a second way with the abilities to activate that second route. Thus, creating a clean interface that might be customizable (to an extent) for the consumer.

I see two benefits of this. One would be an easy way to show people where they are on the print queue lists via a PHP module that could be included into a current of future php site. Thus, for showing just the queues to the students that would be waiting for there prints could check, but would never directly see the website that has the listed print queues. My thought is a security idea of if the customer cannot see the main cups page, then they have no need to try and hack it. Where as the PHP section could become a display area for just the queues.

The other options is to somehow break the print queues list out to a seperate display page for customers to see where in the lists they are.