Printing from client stoped working

Fredrik fredrik.skoldheimer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 03:15:37 PDT 2006

Hello all.

I have used my printing server for quite some time now. The server also workes like a gateway, firewall and fileserver.

My printer, a Brother MFC 7420 have worked like a charm. Then, a couple of days ago it just stoped working. I have probabably done something wrong but, beeing a newbee and all, I can't figure out what. As I said, it have worked for a long time and I have almost forgotten how I once set this up.

>From what I rembember I "share" my printer threw Samba and if I browse my network from my Windows computor I can se the printer in my network explorer. I have no problem browsing my fileserver so there seems like there is no problem with Samba.

I can print a testpage on the printer by browsing from my server (localhost) to "http://localhost:631" so there seems to be no problem with the connection between the printer and server.

If I try to print from my windows computor (I have two computors and it's the same problem from both) and then look at the printing que on the windows machine the status of the document is "buffering".

If I then browse to http://localhost:631 from the server it's not recieving the job from the client computor. The status of my printer (according to cups) is "Idle accepting jobs".

I have tried the following:
* Restart cups
* Restart printer (switching it off and on)
* restart the server
* restart the client computors (both of them)
* Removed the printer and adding it again on the client computors.

There seems to be someting wrong in the transfer between the clients and the server but everyting else workes (I can browse the file server (samba) and I can surf on the net))

Can anyone come up with a suggestion on what to do next?