[cups.general] raw printers cannot use file: devices

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Oct 9 03:06:57 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Sep 28 02:18 Binh Nguyen wrote (shortened):
> lpadmin -p email -m raw  -v file:/email.sh
> the printer configure ok but when I come to use it, i got this error
> raw printers cannot use file: devices

Accept what the message tells you and don't use the "file" backend
which actually doesn't exist (there is no "file" backend in
the directory where the other backends are).

Therefore write your own backend "email" in the directory where the
other backends are and use this one.
See "man backend" for some info how to write a backend.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de