[cups.general] backend script standard

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Oct 9 04:14:23 PDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 06:51:37AM -0400, Binh Nguyen wrote:
> Does anyone have an example of a shell script that conform to
> cups backend standard?
>
> I did a man backend and didnt get much out of it, (maybe I'm not a developer??)

<shameless plug="ON">
Just donwload Tea4CUPS with subversion, then install it :

  cd /tmp
  svn export svn://svn.librelogiciel.com/tea4cups/trunk tea4cups
  cd tea4cups
  cp tea4cups /usr/lib/cups/backend
  chown root.root /usr/lib/cups/backend/tea4cups
  chmod 700 /usr/lib/cups/backend/tea4cups
  cp tea4cups.conf /etc/cups

Now edit /etc/cups/tea4cups.conf to launch whatever script(s) you want
instead of or in addition to printing. The file is self documented,
and an unlimited number of scripts can be launched for each print
job either before or after the job has hit the printer device.

Now restart CUPS :

  /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

Ensure your print queue is routed through Tea4CUPS, for example if
your print queue is named "HP2100" :

  lpadmin -p HP2100 -v tea4cups://`lpstat -v HP2100 | cut -f 4,4 -d " "`

Then print something, and enjoy.

NB : you need Python >=2.3 for Tea4CUPS to work.
</shameless>

Hoping this helps

Jerome Alet