Repeating Job Entries

jklaas.umich jklaas at umich.edu
Tue Oct 10 09:43:41 PDT 2006

I'm running CUPS 1.1.23 on RedHat EL-3 as a custom build (not the package from RedHat).

We're running classes for our queues.  Some classes have more than one printer, but most have only one.  This issue really impacts both cases.

Whenever a printer is unavailable (printer spits back an error), CUPS resubmits the job to the class queue.  In order for this to stop, I've got swatch stopping the printer queue on errors (it seemed to do this automatically in the past, but I can't remember how that was set up) which prevents the job from being resubmitted to the class queue.

The problem is, every time the job is submitted to the printer queue, it shows up in the page log.  So, if a printer queue is down for some reason, the job still shows up in the page log at least twice.

This plays havoc with our current page accounting system to say the least (jobs with over 100000 pages because the job was resubmitted 50 times when maybe no pages get printed).

Thanks.

James Klaas