in-postscript media-type request stripped by pstops?

blinkety bill printers at ph.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Oct 12 18:10:57 PDT 2006

> blinkety bill wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem trying to print to transparency using Xerox print driver via CUPS.
>
> What version of CUPS are you using?

Seems to be cupsys_1.2.2-0ubuntu0.6.06_i386.

> When you say you are using the Xerox print driver via CUPS, do you
> mean you are using the Xerox Windows printer driver and printing the
> resulting file through CUPS?  If so, how is the queue configured on
> your CUPS system right now?

OK, I installed the printer using the xerox INF file, and the ppd file came from xerox seperately as a 'cups ready' PPD ...

How is the queue configured? Hmm not sure what you are after .. We have two 4400N printers set up in a class, and I am testing by printing to the class. If that is likely to be a cause of problems, I can reconfigure my tests to go to one of the CUPS printers instead of the class..

I've used the CUPS gui to set the parameters of the printers to closely match the printer characteristics.

We have several printers of different types including some HP ones which are foo-matic'ed.

The printers are configured as either socket:9100 or LPD output from cups, and the connection from the windows PC is via IPP/HTTP.

I think first I will try replacing the pstops as suggested in this thread, the sysadmin who built the print server is reluctant to upgrade the software independently of Ubuntu making a release ...

Thanks for your help. Sounds like this is solvable, anyway, which is what I wanted to hear! :) We've just built a new cups server because the previous one seemed insolvable because it runs an old, pernickety OS which has a mangled CUPS 1.1 and suddenly stopped working properly I think when CUPS was upgraded ... would be sad to find we had the same issues still!

Blinkety Bill