[cups.general] Retaining printers.conf when updating CUPS

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 13 06:33:56 PDT 2006

On Oct 13, 2006, at 9:14 , John A.Murdie wrote:

> Ah, my problem is that I've never seen an 'lpoptions' (or
> 'lpoptions.conf'?) file. (I don't have any classes yet - just
> trying to get used to CUPS basic operation before I introduce
> anything fancy.)
> There's no 'lpoptions*' file in my CUPS 1.2.4 installation or its /
> var directory (other than the lpoptions command and its manual page).

It's just "lpoptions" and it's in the etc directory with
printers.conf etc.  IIRC it's not actually necessary if it's empty,
although cupsd will whine a bit if it doesn't exist.  (Presumably
that answers my question as well, options set via the web interface
must go straight into the ppd file if you don't have lpoptions.)

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu