trying to configure xerox phaser 3117 printer on fedora core 5

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Oct 16 10:01:24 PDT 2006

Russbucket wrote:
> vidyadhara buddhiraju wrote:
>

>>I was trying to configure xerox phaser 3117 on fedora core 5. The
>>configuration says it works fine.
>>
>>(from localhost:631).
>>But the test page always aborts.
>>
>>Then I deleted the printer and tried to add the printer through the
>>command line
>>
>>#lpadmin -p Phaser3117 -E -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -m
>>#/etc/cups/ppd/Phaser-3117.ppd
>>
>>The thing fails
>>lpadmin: add-printer (set model) failed: server-error-internal-error
>>
>>I am not able to decipher any of the documentation on the web or the cups
>>documentation that came with the installatino of cups with fedora.
>>
>>Is there any hope of printing something from linux.
>>
>>regards
>>vidya
>
> vidya I installed a Xerox Phaser 6120N yesterday on a SUSE 10.0 system, usb
> interface, with absolutely no problems. I don't know about Fedora but on
> SUSE I just copied the .ppd from Xerox for this printer
> to /usr/share/cups/model/Xerox.
>
> Then I went into YaST and it found the printer, I told it to use the ppd and
> then went to CUPS (localhost:631) and made it the default printer. Printed
> fine and also installled on Windows XP with no problem. I have not tried
> getting the printer server which comes standard with it running yet.
>
> I just looked at the the .ppds from the Xerox download file and I do not see
> one for a model 3117. You may want to try asking on the following news
> group: printing-user-xerox at lists.freestandards.org
>
> Sorry I cannot help more.
> Russ

I think it is a printer that doew not support PostScript natively. You may
download a driver package for Linux from the Xerox web site and hack a CUPS filter or backend
using the contents of the repsective archive (I think it is an USB printer).

Contact me off the group if you need special help.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung