is there a cups.schema for ldap?

Binh Nguyen binh25 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 16:53:55 PDT 2006

> Walter, I notice that cups can talk to ldap. I presume this is for the
> purpose
> of configuring printers? Perhaps it can do authentication too? Perhaps
> the opposite
> process works, i.e. cups-->ldap. At least one gets this impression when
> reading
> the documentation?
>
> For printers has anyone configured printers in ldap and had cups
> successfully configure
> itself?
>
> walter

Walter
I got around this by writing a ksh shell script which went off to an active directory (Microsoft Kerberos/LDAP server) using ldapsearch, pull down its printer tree, sort out its name and IP
the I add it to my CUPS Server, works wonder.

We (unix admin) dont keep track of printers and its configuration, everything is store in the Active Directory and all I do each night is; I run the script. It will then fetch the information off from the Active Directory and lpadmin it to my cups server. It also check for mismatch and compare the current cups configuration with the Active Directory to make sure everything match up, else it alarm and let me know.