printing problems suncluster cups v1.1

Egger Gerald.Egger at xerox.com
Tue Oct 17 06:08:06 PDT 2006

Hello

We have installed two different Multifunctionprinter M24 and WCP255
at Customer Uno, who are using a Suncluster Os9 with cupsversion 1.1. as printingserver, printing over ipp.

Unfortunatly we face different strange printingproblems:

The M24 printed only even pages than only odd pages, then it printed only some pages of the job, without any erromessages.
So we exchanged the printer with another printer of another floor and this printer worked fine, but also the exchanged printer printed now without any changes fine.
after  amonth the whole thing sarted again.

The WCP 255 printed fine for a while, than didn't print anymore and the webservices are frozen, after restarting the printer it worked fine for a while than the webserver was frozen again.
We sniffed and found out that the solarissystem sent 500 jobs to the printer and we got a bufferoverflow on the ipp port,  but there are no jobs in the cups queue.

The customer insist that this are problems of the printer which causes cups to behave in this way or the ppd are incorrect, which i allready tested.

The printers works perfect over windows enviroment.

Could you be so kind to give me tips/or guide for troubleshouting.
how to turn on logfiles from cups and sun
Should the customer upgrade this cups version to the latest available.

Best Regards Gerald