smb backend: password disclosure ?

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Tue Oct 17 08:57:48 PDT 2006

I am using CUPS to print to Windows printer accessible over SMB. I have configured smb backend with proper URI that includes username and password. Everything works fine.

But I am concerned that I [and any other unpriveleged user] can see the full URI including the samba password without any prior authentication if I either use CUPS Web interface and go to "Manage Printers" page or if I use KDE printer configuration.

Doesn't this amount to a password disclosure ?
Or am I doing something wrong ?