[cups.general] Adding my HP printer on Ubuntu 5.10

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Oct 17 14:48:42 PDT 2006

Mrs.Mary at easysw.com wrote:
> I NEED TO FIND OUT HOW TO GET THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD FOR THE WEBSITE http://localhost:631!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Please can anyone answer this message and give step by step instructions.  I have read the forums and since I am a newbie to the Ubuntu system I do not understand how to use the command line that well.  THANK YOU

(K)ubuntu has gotten cups pretty well castrated IMO, and its not painless.

In any event, the username is whoever you are logged in as, and the
password is whatever you use to login as that user.

But, be aware please, that (k)ubuntu specifically doesn't seem to want
to allow access to the printers via Michael's very well done web page
facility thats built into cups.  This CAN be gotten around if you are
determined by creating an actual root account, however there is a
printer management utility they have supplied and which I don't recall
the name of, but you would run it from a cli via "sudo name-of-util"
that will allow you to setup local printers fairly easily.  It may even
show up in the gnome menu's, but I use kde.

However, to make use of networked printers, you have to at minimum,
create an /etc/cups/cups.d/client.conf file naming the server, either by
IP or by name if your /etc/hosts file is uptodate before you'll be able
to print on say lp2 at ipp://server-hostname:631.

--
Cheers, Gene