Contant printer timeouts disabling printers

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Oct 18 10:56:03 PDT 2006

Paul Raines wrote:
> The printers are all standard HP network printers.  I have tried
> changing from using JETDIRECT to LPD to communicate with the printers
> with no change in the problem.

The error_log snippet shows a LPD backend error.  The socket backend
does not have this sort of timeout in it and won't error out unless
someone turns the printer off in the middle of a job.

> I have tried changing the "Timeout" setting in cupsd.conf to 600 but
> continue to get the error saying 300 seconds so that appears not
> change the timeout for this issue.

Right, the cupsd.conf Timeout parameter controls the scheduler's
timeout.  For LPD printers, use:

     lpd://host-or-ip/queue?timeout=NNN

where "NNN" is the number of seconds to wait.