[cups.general] (still) accented letters dropped

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Oct 19 05:01:25 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Tim Waugh wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 11:46 -0400, Fred wrote:
>>
>>> in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, I've tried "utf-8" or "iso-8859-1" for
>>> "DefaultCharset"
>>

>> The texttops filter in CUPS does not correctly handle the UTF-8
>> character encoding.
>

> Huh?  UTF-8 *is* supported, although we don't do character
> composition.  Other multi-byte encodings are not currently
> supported, however.
>
>  > ...
>
>> The Red Hat package of CUPS in Fedora Core 6 (shortly to be released)
>> and in the next version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux will use a text->PS
>> filter based on the paps package, which does correctly handle UTF-8 and
>> uses fontconfig for rendering glyphs.  This means that documents such
>> as /usr/share/doc/pango-*/HELLO.utf8 will print out correctly.
>

> That's great.  It would be even better if we can make it work without
> fontconfig and Pango, which are Linuxisms...

Just for the records: all my CUPS instances (compiled from the sources, though;
not relying on the distributors' hacks) have NO difficulties with accented
characters.

But, Tim, it is essential that - at least in case of Type1 fonts - these
conform to the Adobe glyph names conventions. Maybe they do not, for instance
I some time saw a glyph named "adiaeresis" instead of "adieresis" which is
the "official" glyph name as defined by Adobe.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung