[cups.general] Retaining printers.conf when updating CUPS

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 19 10:28:26 PDT 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 12:46 PM, John A.Murdie wrote:

> I've configured all my printers' options (default paper size, input
> tray etc) via the web interface, so that I fear that if the cupsd
> ever dies then all this will be lost and I'll have to start over! I
> had been assuming for a long time that the printer option settings
> got written back to the printers.conf file automatically - I'd seen

I guess I was unclear.  It doesn't store them in printers.conf; it
edits ppd/$printername.ppd, which is where the options are actually
defined.

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]
allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university
KF8NH