Contant printer timeouts disabling printers

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Oct 20 05:19:18 PDT 2006

Paul Raines wrote:
>>> The printers are all standard HP network printers.  I have tried
>>> changing from using JETDIRECT to LPD to communicate with the printers
>>> with no change in the problem.
>> The error_log snippet shows a LPD backend error.  The socket backend
>> does not have this sort of timeout in it and won't error out unless
>> someone turns the printer off in the middle of a job.
>>

> True.  On printers where I am using jetdriect to port 9100, the error
> in the log file is:
>
> E [18/Oct/2006:09:21:02 -0400] [Job 47297] Unable to send print file to printer: Connection reset by peer
>

>>> I have tried changing the "Timeout" setting in cupsd.conf to 600 but
>>> continue to get the error saying 300 seconds so that appears not
>>> change the timeout for this issue.
>> Right, the cupsd.conf Timeout parameter controls the scheduler's
>> timeout.  For LPD printers, use:
>>
>>      lpd://host-or-ip/queue?timeout=NNN
>>
>> where "NNN" is the number of seconds to wait.
>
> Okay, good to know.  But I think something more fundemental is going on. I am wondering if some kind of resource is being run out of for cups (memory, file descriptors, etc) which somehow results in this kind of error.

For the socket: errors, the printer is closing the connection.  This
could be the printer's idle timeout (telnet in or set it from the
printer's control panel) or someone is just cycling the power on the
printer to cancel the job.

For the lpd: errors, the job is not completing within the default 300
second timeout or someone is cycling the power on the printer.

If you are printing over a WAN, you might be running into network
connection issues (dropped packets, etc.) which cause the TCP session
to fail.