Retaining printers.conf when updating CUPS

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Oct 20 05:21:37 PDT 2006

John A. Murdie wrote:
> I still don't know how web 'Set Printer Options' values are
> preserved. I'd suggest that having the scheduler append to
> printers.conf is probably the action of least surprise, though one
> can argue that a daemon should never edit administrator-crafted
> configuration files (without the administrator authorising this).

All of the PPD-based options (everything not under the Banners and
Policies sections on the web page) are stored in the PPD file, and
the banner and policy options are stored in the printers.conf file.

If you use lpadmin to add foo-default options, they are also stored
in the printers.conf file.  PPD options are stored in the PPD file.