Retaining printers.conf when updating CUPS

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Oct 20 07:39:48 PDT 2006

> John A. Murdie wrote:
> > So if more than one printer shares a PPD file, 'Set Printer Option'
> > web interface foo-default value changes made by the administrator for
> > one printer will be overwritten by those for another?
>  > ...
>
> No, each printer queue has its own copy of the original PPD file
> in the /etc/cups/ppd directory, named using the printer's name,
> e.g. for a printer named "Lab410Laser", the PPD file would be
> "/etc/cups/ppd/Lab410Laser.ppd".  The originals typically come from
> /usr/share/cups/model which are *not* modified by CUPS in any way
> (read-only!)
>
> --
> Internet Printing and Document Software          http://www.easysw.com

I finally see what my confusion has been; the 'lpoptions' are not the same as the options set under the 'Set Printer Options' web page - the first, if an administrator chooses to use it, is for default command line options - the second is for site printing defaults which are recorded in the *.ppd files under /etc/cups/ppd - which I have now discovered! So, I need to copy all these files to a new installation of CUPS in order to preserve all my settings.

John A. Murdie