Create queues with default options

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sun Oct 22 03:06:00 PDT 2006

David Miller wrote:
> I would like to setup queues for my printers so my users don't have to type out the specific options. For example if they want to print to a transparency tray they would have to do the following
>
> lp -d phaser8400 -o media=Transparency /path/to/file
>
> Is there a way to have a print queue called phaser8400_trans that prints to the transparency tray automatically? I would like to setup such queues for 11x17 and duplex printing also. I'm assuming I need to edit the ppd files for the queues.
>
> Thanks.
If the PPD supports a default setting for these options, then it
should be easy - just set the desired default using the "configure printer"
op in the web interface (or set this with the lpadmin command. probably 1.2.x
required for that).

You may easily install different queues pointing to the same physical
printer using the same (original) PPD, as every queue gets its own
PPD copy and thus can be configured individually.

Helge
--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung