[cups.general] system-config-printer?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 02:23:37 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 17:04 -0700, Todd and Margo Chester wrote:
> It would be really cool if CUPS would add system-config-printer
> to the project: this would give everyone access to it and
> give everyone a choice of which to use.  I am of the
> opinion that anything that makes CUPS easier to use is
> a good thing.

To clarify this: there are two distinct programs referred to as
'system-config-printer', and this confusing state of affairs is a result
of the naming convention in Fedora.

In Fedora Core up to version 5, and in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and 4,
it is a utility that doesn't have a lot of enthusiastic fans (to put it
kindly).  Its version numbers go to 0.6.x in these products.

In Fedora Core 6, to be released this week, 'system-config-printer'
refers to a completely re-written application, which a version number
like 0.7.x.  Its interface was in fact modelled on the CUPS 1.2 web
interface, which has been a great help in making it better.  The
screenshots in a recent Red Hat Magazine article
(http://www.redhat.com/magazine/022aug06/features/fc6_print/#scp) are of
this new application.

Perhaps the original poster has seen version 0.7.x of
system-config-printer?

Tim.
*/