[cups.general] a milter like facility for cups accounting?

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 24 07:10:42 PDT 2006

Hi,
Is there going to be a 'milter' like facility for cups accounting, i.e.,
the ability to insert commands that are accounting related during the
ipp transaction, for example, immediately after the data portion of an
ipp print job has been submitted.

It seems to me that currently one is relegated to creating a backend
that attempts
to do accounting after sending data to the official cups backends. From
what I can see this procedure is not deterministic. For example, one has
to query the printer sometime after the job has been submitted to the
real cups backend which implies one has to "guess" when the job
is done or worse repeatedly query the printer rather than opening the
port to the printer and submitting accounting directives along side the
actual print data. In this way we can be absolutely certain we are getting
back information about our actual print job. I get the impression that
this is what the older psif
filters did. Perhaps I'm misreading the situation?

walter