[cups.general] Printing with landscape, mirrored options.

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Oct 24 17:26:40 PDT 2006

On 24 Oct 2006, at 13:33, Stroller wrote:
> I'm having a bit of a problem printing in landscape format, and it
> appears that `lp -o mirror test-portrait.ps` doesn't work, either.
> I've kinda blundered into CUPS configuration, so I apologise if
> there's something blatantly dumb or obvious I've missed.
>
> My aim is to use Gentoo Linux on a PII Compaq Proliant to print to
> a networked (JetDirect) HP LaserJet 5, and initially this was very
> easy. I believe the printer is in fact a 5M, as this is what it
> says on the front, and I believe it to have the Postscript option
> installed. I have been using this printer with my Apple Mac running
> OS X for some time.
> What I'm really trying to do, however, is print in landscape
> format, and all that seems to happen is that a sheet of A4 is
> printed in portrait format, with the image halfway down the sheet
> and falling half off the page. The manual <http://www.cups.org/
> doc-1.1/sum.html#4_1_2> states that "-o landscape option will
> rotate the page 90 degrees to print in landscape orientation",
> which is what I'd like to achieve.

An addendum, in case anyone picks this up to help: printing of plain-
text works fine with mirror & landscape modes.
EG:
         head TheRaven.txt | lpr -o landscape
and  head TheRaven.txt | lpr -o mirror
both work fine & as expected.

It's only PostScript documents that give the problem. I'd be
extremely grateful for any help with this, as I'm desperate to print
these invoices & pay my bills!!

I thought that this might be the problem <http://en.opensuse.org/
SDB:No_Landscape_Format_with_CUPS> but `grep -i Orientation
invoice_00488-landscape.ps` returns nothing.

Stroller.