[cups.general] cupsd keeps dying whenever configured to BrowsePoll

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Oct 26 07:17:28 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> wtautz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a known problem with cupsd dying whenever it does
>> a BrowsePoll? I'm noticing that cups-polld is orphaned by cups
>> and the server is not running. Noticing this with both
>> server client as compiled on SunOS5.8 using source on www.cups.org
>>

> There is no known problem with BrowsePoll in CUPS 1.2.3.  What
> version of CUPS are you using?

>> ps. It would seem that one has to have Browsing On whenever BrowsePoll
>> is set.
>> Is this a deliberate design? How does cups-polld works. Does it forward
>> any packets
>> it gets to the local subnet or to the server directly?
>>

> Yes, it is deliberate by design.  cups-polld does a CUPS-Get-Printers
> request to the polled server and then sends CUPS UDP packets to the
> local loopback interface (127.0.0.1) so that cupsd sees them.

Could it send them to the Unix socket file? Or is that protocol
insufficient to support such a mechanism? My understanding of socket
programming is pretty rusty.

walter
Can it communicate via the Unix socket? This way
one could choose to have cupsd not listen on localhost. Granted
no documentation via the port 641 would be accessible. Just curious?

Walter