[cups.general] cups on GenToo can't print pdf files

Helmut Jarausch jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Oct 27 01:40:24 PDT 2006

Hi,

can anybody P L E A S E  help me with the following problem.

I have been running CUPS (an older version) for a long time and
directly printing a .pdf file posed no problems.

Now I have switched to GenToo, tried CUPS versions
1,1,23-r8 and 1.2.5.

In both cases - directly printing a pdf file -
seems to send invalid postscript to my print.

My printer has original Adobe Postscript level 3 support.
One version of cups produced

ERROR: configurationerror
OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice

Version 1.2.5 now poduces
ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND: obj

STACK:

0
3

How can I intercept the file that is sent to the print to
look at it?

What might bei the reason for my problems?

When I convert the .pdf file to a postscript file by
acroread or ghostscript, the generated postscript file
prints just fine.

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik