cups on GenToo can't print pdf files

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Oct 27 09:46:35 PDT 2006

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>>The first error message (I presume the 1.1.x CUPS)indicates that there is
>>an active option that the printer refuses to handle, I suspect the wrong PPD
>>for the real printer.
>>
>>The second message indicates that the PDF has been passed directly to the
>>printer. Maybe the PPD contains a statement like
>>
>>*cupsFilter: "application/pdf 0 -"
>>
>>or the like, but the real printer either cannot directly process PDF
>>or lacks the necessary equipment (presumably a hard disc).
>>
>>Please post more information about the respecive printer (PPD, make and model).
>

> Many thanks, it turned out, that emerging the last poppler library
> and CUPS 1.2.5 solved the problem.
>
> Still, for future problems, I'd be interested if it is possible
> to redirect the output to the printer into a file.
>
> Many thanks,
> Helmut.

A littie bit tricky:
(1) stop CUPS
(2) change the printer's device URI in /etc/cups/printers.conf
     to file:/some_temporary_path (save the old contents, of course)
(3) start CUPS

If you have your needed file, undo the change using the same procedure.

Helge

PS: You need to enable the file device in cupsd.conf.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung