Web admin access for a group (non-root)

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Oct 27 12:01:11 PDT 2006

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi, this is definitely a FAQ, still I couldn't find it there.
>
> With CUPS 1.2.5, how can I allow a group of users or at least one
> (artificial) non-root user to access cups via
>
> http://localhost:631/admin
>
> Many thanks for a hint,

Create a UNIX group for your printing administrators; you usually
do this by editing the /etc/group file, but on Mac OS X you'll need
to run Net Info Manager.

Edit the cupsd.conf file (through the web interface if you like) and
add a line reading:

     SystemGroup yourgroupnamehere

That will allow any user in the group to do printer administration
stuff with the default policies.

For more complex behavior, see the help document on operation
policies:

     http://localhost:631/help/policies.html