[cups.general] Web admin access for a group (non-root)

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Fri Oct 27 17:07:50 PDT 2006

On 27 Oct 2006, at 20:01, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> With CUPS 1.2.5, how can I allow a group of users or at least one
>> (artificial) non-root user to access cups via
>> http://localhost:631/admin
> Edit the cupsd.conf file (through the web interface if you like) and
> add a line reading:
>
>      SystemGroup yourgroupnamehere

Hi there,

Interesting that you should say this. I had this same problem myself
last week & worked the solution out for myself.

On my distro CUPS came shipped thus:
    $ grep ^SystemGroup /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
    SystemGroup lp
    $

Consequently, the only thing to do was to add the user to the "lp"
group with `sudo gpasswd -a stroller lp`. I know this because it's
still in my bash history. ;D

Does CUPS not come with SystemGroup set from the factory, or have my
distro added this for me?

Just curious,

Stroller.