CUPS 1.2.4 and Windows client -> 1.2.2 me-too

blinkety bill printers at ph.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Oct 29 22:19:01 PST 2006

> I am running CUPS 1.2.4 on a Debian Linux box with a networked HP Color Laserjet 3600n.
>
> I am using hplip the hplip driver (and the recommended ppd).
>
> No matter what I try I simply cannot get a Windows XP client to successfully install the native driver and use this printer.
>
> Each time I try to install the driver, the Windows printer install wizard hangs as soon as I select the 3600n driver. I have to kill the spooler to recover things.
>
> I have looked at my permissions in my cupsd.conf, and they look fine. I have also made sure mime.conv and mime.types have the octet-stream lines uncommented.
>
> I've even tried install a generic postscript driver on the windows client, but it also hangs.
>
> I've never had trouble with CUPS and native drivers on windows clients before, but this is the first time I've used 1.2.4 and also the first time I've used hplip driving a network printer.
>
> Advice appreciated.
>
> Cheers, Iain

Sorry, no advice, except I doubt it's your fault.

I have the same problem, with CUPS 1.2.2 on Ubuntu. I see the exact same thing, with HP 2420 and HP 9050, both of which were working last week ...

But now I've reinstalled my test client, and it seems to me something is wrong on the server. Possibly something over the weekend, a silent upgrade or crash.

The server has had some network probs, and I wonder if something is clogged as a result. I've had the service restarted. Also the clock has been skewed out by a day or so, could that cause a problem?

Network seems OK now, because other printers can print, and Linux users can print to one of the 9050 printer at least (haven't tested the 2420's).

On the 2040, I've tried using HP PS and PCL6 drivers; On the 9050 I've tried using PS, PCL, Xerox 4400N, cups test v6 drivers.

Its very odd, because I CAN print OK and get properties page etc for several other printers including Xerox 4400N PS and HP 2200D PCL.

So it doesn't seem to be that the HP driver on the linux server is the problem .. unless it's convoluted enough to have printer-specific problems that is.

Well, I'm sure its not that, because if I create a RAW queue for the 9050, it doesn't work any better for the windows client.

I've been assured that nothing has changed on the server, but it's another admin who look after it.

I have tried various of the windows installations on several client machines, each exactly the same. I get through the install if I use a RUNDLL command-line in a script to add the printer. But then, accessing the properties page doesn't succeed: restart spooler, see error message: "Printer properties cannot be displayed. Operation could not be completed."

If I install the driver pointing to a bogus server, the message comes back immediately, instead of the indefinite wait until I restart the spooler.

If I point to a real server, but a bogus printer name, I get an error during installation .. which at least is one thing that does make sense.

Any suggestions received gratefully.

Blinkety Bill