ConfigFilePerm - changing default permission

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Oct 30 13:42:01 PST 2006

angelb wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Does anyone know if the ConfigFilePerm works only on cupsd.conf?

It is used for cupsd.conf, config files uploaded via HTTP PUT
requests, the remote.cache file, the subscriptions.conf file,
and the job.cache file.  We don't currently use it for the
classes.conf or printers.conf files because of potential security
issues (exposed passwords mainly).

> I set it to 0600 and noticed file permission on cupsd.conf changed
> accordingly.
>
> What I want is to change permission to printers.conf to 0640 but the
> ConfigFilePerm doesn't seem to affect printers.conf; it always remain
> at 0600.

You can edit the scheduler/printers.c code to use ConfigFilePerm
instead of 0600.  Also, you can file a feature request - we could
track whether username/password info is in the file, and only use
mode 0600 if that is the case...