/usr/lib/lp/interface/hp5f3

Eric Marceau marceau504 at rogers.com
Tue Oct 31 13:12:08 PST 2006

Here's the deal.  I've worked with HP-UX since 1984
as system administrator (HP900s500, HP9000s400,
HP9000s800, HP9000s700).

I've discovered the transient files under

   /var/spool/cups

don't get purged as I would have expected, "out-of-box",
for any installation, and in this case, Ubuntu Dapper.

I used to confirm, or create, the existence of the cleanup
logic for directly-attached printers in the interface scripts
that used to be found under

   /usr/lib/lp/interface/hp5f3

where hp5f3 was a Bourne/Bash/Csh script to manage the
process of placing header pages with info, converting
contents as necessary, AND purging the handed of temporary
copy of the file after printing.

I've tried to understand Cups, but for the life of me, I have
not been able to identify the scripts that perform that same
function under that framework.

All the ppd files seem to be postscript, so I can't imagine that
the are meant to be managing jobs going to the printer.

I've looked at the administrator page for the printer using the
web interface and there is NOT an option indicated to select or
deselect purging files after printing.  I would myself build
logic to move the file into a holding area if the low-level
print attempt had failed for lack of communication with the
device, and again this would be in the interface scripts that
I have previously been used to.  (BTW, I no longer have access
to those scripts from my old workplace, so I would now be
working from scratch.)

Anybody out there "migrate" hp interface scripts into the Cups
environment for HP Laserjet5MP ?  If so, could you make one such
example available for inclusion into the cups install tree so
that such could be discovered when required ... and I would like
a copy for my immediate use.

I am printing fine to the device.  I just don't have the control
that I want with the placement of banner pager or other handling
(expected normal post-processing cleanup).

I'll be honest, I find the Framework very well suited to large,
distributed printing environments (networked printers), but it seems
extremely complex for home desktop directly-attached printing.  The
part of the printer interfacing I can understand, but all the
networking stuff should be installed as an option for installation
as a service on centralized servers for large organizations, not
a base feature for all installations.

Eric