[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2026: adding a printer fails if serial device(s) switched off

Sven Utcke utcke+cups at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Sun Oct 15 10:51:04 PDT 2006

[STR New]

When trying to add a printer I was bit by the following:

W [13/Oct/2006:23:05:34 +0200] [cups-deviced] Backend "serial" did not
respond within 30 seconds!

which essential makes the browser to appear to hang for an infinite amount
of time.  This has happened to me in 1.3svn-r6014 as well as 1.2.4, and I
believe that all versions are in fact affected.

The reason, in my case, turned out to be the modem connected to ttyS0,
which is rarely switched on these days, as it is only used for emergency
backup and outgoing faxes.  Switching the modem on immediately solved the
problem.

Recommended Solution
---------------------

I think it would be best to fix both the code in serial (to make it time
out) as well as to change the webpage pointing out that all connections
are getting scanned, which might take a while...

Possible Workaround
-------------------

At least mention on the webpage that all connected devices need to be
switched on!

Hope this helps

Sven

PS: this was on

trixie>/home/utcke% uname -a
Linux trixie 2.4.10-4GB #1 Mon May 12 08:48:01 CEST 2003 i586 unknown

Maybe this problem goes away with never kernels?

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2026
Version: 1.3-current