How to install printer driver in Mac OS 10.2

Horky Chen horky.chen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 07:35:25 PDT 2006

Dear All,
    I wrote a printer driver in Tiger, and it can work fine in Tiger(Universal).But when I install it in Mac OS 10.2, plug in my printer, then it cannot appear in Printer list. In the printer center, click add button to add printer, but the type of my printer is "Driver not installed". My printer driver just contains three modules: Filter driver , PDE and PPD file.  And I have tried to add one Kernel Extention to use USBGenericPrintingClass.plugin manually,
but it still cannot work. Because both the manuafcture name and product name of my printer contains blanks, in the OS X 10.4, there is a Device1284ID in my PPD file to identify the printer.
My questions are:
    1. Should I write a classic USB plugin or use USBGenericPriningClass.plugin?
    2. Should I modify the PPD file?

Thanks in advance.

Horky.Chen