Problem with copy number

lpsp supe_hans at gmx.net
Sat Oct 28 06:30:22 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have a little problem. A teacher of our school wants us (a team of six fellow sutdents of me) to establish a print server in his school network.The rub is that he also want`s a lot of accounting stuff, e.g. number of copies, number of pages, who prints the file,... Furthermore, these data should be logged into a MySQL database.
In the last few days, we read through a lot of manuals of "how to configure cups", and they all stated that cups is still able to do all this things (without logging in mysql - thtat`s not the problem). However, now we tried to configure such a system and everything seemed to work properly, but we never got out the number of copies. I don`t realy know why. We used Microsoft Word 2003 as Client and Cups was running on SuSE Linux 9.3. We sniffed with Ethereal between both parties, and saw that the content of the file was appended to the message appropriate to the number of copies we configured in MS Word.

So, my questions are:
1) which problem do we have?
2) where can I hack my code into the cups sources, to enable cups to log into MySQL ?

Thank you for your help!!

PS: I want to apologize my bad English, I`m from Austria, you know, a lot of mountains and snow, and all people are wearing leather shorts :-)