RHEL 4 Text/PCL/PS printing to same printer

Erick etyack at comcast.net
Fri Sep 1 07:33:20 PDT 2006

Hello,

We are transitioning from SCO to RHEL 4 and I am having difficulty printing embedded PCL, text and Postscript documents to the same printer/driver.

cups version 1.1.22

Printers are HP4000 series

Printing is initiated lp command from custom in-house application

Document types:
  Postscript
  Plain text w/lp -o options (-o cpi=12, -olandscape, etc)
  Plain text w/embedded PCL codes

Postscript Driver
  PS document prints correctly
  Plain text w/lp -o options prints correctly
  Plain text w/embedded PCL prints PCL codes as plain text

Textonly Driver
  PS documents print correctly
  Plain text documents print but lp -o options not recognized
  Plain text w/embedded PCL prints PCL correctly

We prefer not to create two printer definitions for each printer -- Postscript and Textonly.  Any suggestions how to setup a printer with one driver to handle three types of documents?

I tried adding a *cupsFilter for mime-type text, but texttops prints PCL as text.  I modified mime.conv pointing text/plain to textonly instead of texttops, but then the lp -o options are not recognized.

Also Redhat's printer config tool overwrites manual changes to a printer 's ppd everytime you open and close it :(

Regards,

Erick