[cups.general] problem adding printer in cups.

Basanta Shrestha basanta at mpp.org.np
Sat Sep 2 22:39:03 PDT 2006

Dear List,
I am facing a serious problem adding printer using cups. I upgraded my
system (debian etch) and now I can't add printer. I have tried all avenues.

Other computers in the network can add and use printer.

Steps follows:
http://localhost:631 - OK
Add printer - OK
Add New Printer - OK
Device  - I select "Internet Printing Protocal(ipp) - OK
ipp://server:631/printers/printername - NOT OK - Takes forever  and I
don't get Make/Manufacture list page.

I have following package installed
ii  cups-pdf                          2.4.1-1                    PDF
printer for CUPS
ii  cupsys                            1.2.2-2                    Common
UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii  cupsys-bsd                        1.2.2-2                    Common
UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD comman
ii  cupsys-client                     1.2.2-2                    Common
UNIX Printing System(tm) - client pro
ii  cupsys-common                     1.2.2-2                    Common
UNIX Printing System(tm) - common fil
ii  cupsys-driver-gimpprint           5.0.0-1                    printer
drivers for CUPS
ii  cupsys-driver-gutenprint          5.0.0-1                    printer
drivers for CUPS
ii  libcupsimage2                     1.2.2-2                    Common
UNIX Printing System(tm) - image libs
ii  libcupsys2                        1.2.2-2                    Common
UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
ii  libgnomecups1.0-1                 0.2.2-5                    GNOME
library for CUPS interaction
ii  hplip                             0.9.7-4                    HP
Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)
ii  hplip-data                        0.9.7-4                    HP
Linux Printing and Imaging - data files
ii  hplip-ppds                        0.9.7-4                    HP
Linux Printing and Imaging - PPD files

Please help!

Regards
Basanta