[cups.general] question about charset

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sun Sep 3 05:58:47 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 07:25:56AM -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Jerome Alet wrote:

> >> The filenames and title (job-name) are always UTF-8 in CUPS 1.2
> >> and beyond.

It seems it's not the case at least with CUPS 1.2.1 : the title
passed on the backend's command line is NOT encoded in UTF-8.

I printed using the lp command from an xterm, with a French locale using
the ISO-8859-15 charset.

The backend's command line received the title as I typed it in my
xterm as the argument to lp's -t command line option.

If I look at a dump of CUPS' /var/spool/cups/c00501 file, I've got
the confirmation :

        attributes-charset : utf-8
        attributes-natural-language : fr-fr at euro
        job-name : abécédaire
                   (ISO-8859-15 equivalent to abécédaire)

Was this problem fixed since CUPS 1.2.2 ?

bye,

Jerome Alet