beh to stop disabling printers

Valdis Kornouchovs valdisk at optionsystems.com.au
Tue Sep 5 16:34:16 PDT 2006

Hi 'cups-users',

it seems that backend processing seems to be common issue.

We have a site that has a hp4100 attached to a HP Jetdirect, nothing unusual.  The issue is that this, and some others, have a output tray full sensor, as a result when the tray gets full, 'something' is send to say I'm full, which results the printer being disabled.

The CUPS default ErrorPolicy in the printers.conf is stop-printer, which keeps the job (good thing) but when the printer is re-enabled it start printing from the beginning, as one would expect.

I have modified the printers.conf to have ErrorPolicy to retry-job and in the cupsd.conf set JobRetryInterval to 60 and JobRetryLimit to 60, so that every minute for 1 hour keep checking and hopefully when the tray is emptied would start printing where it left off.

Unfortunately this did not occur, when the tray was emptied, it just printed what seemed to be what was left in the printer buffer, and the printer was disabled.

Is this ErrorPolicy only for the initial sending of the job and not if the print job is interrupted?

If the input paper tray empties and the the print job is interrupted, it just waits without disabling the printer.

Do I have to install the beh as described at linuxprinting.org
 http://www.linuxprinting.org/beh.html

As a side note, is there a doco that describes what is put out to the error_log file when debug is on,
i.e. what printer states are
e.g. printer state is 3
and what these mean etc
      statusfds = [ 8 9 ]