[cups.general] Problem printing pdf document

Franz Pfoertsch franz.pfoertsch at brose.net
Thu Sep 7 02:37:14 PDT 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sep 6 11:59 Franz Pfoertsch wrote (shortened):
>> I try to print a pdf-document with embeded chinese fonts.
>> Acrobat Reader showes everything, when I try to printout this document
>> the printer stops with a postscript error.
>
> I.e. you use a PostScript printer and the PostScript interpreter
> in this printer fails (either because there is a bug in the
> printer's PostScript interpreter or - more likely - the PostScript
> which is sent to the printer is broken or at least "problematic"
> e.g. when PostScript level 3 fonts are sent to a PostScript level 2
> printer).
>

> Try to print it directly from the Adobe Reader (you can choose
> the PostScript level in the Adobe Reader print dialog).

It worked without changing the ps level
> Try to convert it to PostScript using the Adobe Reader.
> For example, the command
> "acroread -toPostScript -size a4 <file.pdf >file.ps"
> can be used to convert a PDF file into a PostScript file
> that can be sent directly to a PostScript printer.
> The command "acroread -help" shows the command line options.

This worked!

> Try to convert it with Ghostscript to PostScript (preferably
> level 2 or even level 1), see for example
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
>
> Have a look at
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Configuration_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.1_on
> regarding "foomatic-rip pre-filter"
>
> Note that when Ghostscript fails to process it, it is very likely
> a broken PDF. Use for example "gs -sDEVICE=x11 -r60 file.pdf"
> to display it ([Enter] for next page, [Ctrl]+[C] to quit)
> and note if there appear Ghostscript error messages.
This breaks
gs -sDEVICE=x11 -r60 beleg.pdf
ESP Ghostscript 8.15 (2005-09-22)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
Processing pages 1 through 1.
Page 1
   **** Warning: Embedded symbolic TT fonts must contain a cmap for
Platform=1 Encoding=0.
Error: /invalidfont in --show--
Operand stack:
   --dict:5/5(L)--

I made some more test with pswrite on SLES9 GS 7.07 and it worked!

regards
Franz